Bouquet by Mary Clubb
Click here for info
about Mary Clubb
Crewel Bouquet Materials List
Ground: 10" x 10" linen twill fabric
Chenille Needles - # 24
Dressmaker Carbon - blue
Thread: Impressions - 1 skein each
1164 - Beige
4012 - Gold
2031 - Roses
2032 - "
2033 - "
7020 - Jades
7022 - "
7024 - "
5011 - Greens
5013 - "
Crewel Bouquet Directions
1. Place a piece of blue dressmaker's carbon paper on right
side of linen twill fabric, carbon side down. Place the design
on top(centered on the fabric) and trace the design with a sharp
2. Stitch the edges of the fabric on a sewing machine with
a zig-zag stitch or overcast the edge by hand.
3. Numbers on the design pattern correspond with the stitch
4. The entire design is stitched with Impressions. It is a
lovely, soft, silky thread perfectly adapted to the following
crewelstitches. Use the palette shown or choose your own colors;
the possibilities are great - Impressions provides a large colorrange.
5. The lower right leaf (#1) is stitched in Chain Stitch in
greens # 5011 and # 5013. The flower (#1) at the top left is
stitched inthree shades of jade, # 7020, # 7022 and # 7024, where
6. Small flowers at the end of stems are stitched in Detached
Chain Stitch using gold # 4012.
7. The petals on the flower at right are stitched in alternate
rows of Stem Stitch and Back Stitch. Begin at the tip of the
petalsand work towards the center of the flower. The top two
petals are stitched in rose # 2033, the two on the sides of the
flowerare worked in # 2032 and the bottom petal is stitched with
# 2031. ( # 3 & # 4)
8. The large leaf (#5) at the bottom left is stitched in Buttonhole
Stitch using the darker green
9. The two small leaves (# 6) below the jade flower are stitched
with a Closed Fly Stitch using light green # 5013.
10. The center (# 7) of the flower at the right is filled
with French Knots using gold # 4012.
11. All of the stems are worked in Stem Stitch using beige
12. The center of the upper left flower (# 8) is filled with
Laid Work Open Filling. The long stitches are laid with jade
# 7022.After the laid work is completed, the small Cross Stitches
are worked with rose # 2032.
Here for Crewel Bouquet Stitch Diagrams
Crewel Teacher, Designer, Lecturer and Judge
Mary Clubb who is a teacher, designer, lecturer and judge
holds certification in Canvaswork from the Valentine Museum.
She has been a national faculty member for ANG, EGA, The Greenbrier
and Callaway Gardens, as well as EGA regional seminars and ANG
and EGA chapters nationwide. She has completed Phase II in Japanese
Embroidery and is author of an EGA correspondence course.* Her
work has been shown nationally. Her "Log Cabin Tree,"
the winner of Needlepoint News Silk and Metal contest,
1981, was shown on the cover Nov. - Dec., 1981. She is co-author
of several canvaswork books. Her latest publications are "Wild
Geese Fly The Gray Scale, "Log Cabin Tree", "Lacquered
Leaves" on cover of Needlepoint Now, May, June 1999.
"Tapestry Tulips" on cover Needlepoint Retailer,
Jan, Feb 1999.
For more information, contact Mary at email@example.com